Student Grant Program
William and Mary Gay and Lesbian Alumni/ae (GALA) has a long history of supporting the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) student community at William and Mary. To provide formal ongoing financial support for the GLBT student community and for GLBT supportive initiatives at William and Mary, GALA sponsors a grant program to provide financial assistance to William and Mary student organizations for GLBT projects and programs. Financial assistance has been awarded to student sponsored projects and programs including:
• A grant to support From the Margin, a campus student publication that focuses on the experiences of minorities.
• A grant to support Mosaic House, an alternative space living center that encourages and supports serious dialogue about cultural and social difference, a place that provides the kind of engaged community and intellectual exchange about diversity that students need to help them thrive.
• Grants for conferences and conference scholarships.
GALA has also funded and administered educational campaigns whose purpose is improving the climate on campus for GLBT students, including:
• Funding for public service display ads in the student newspaper promoting awareness and tolerance.
• Financing for AIDS awareness campaigns.
Students may apply for funding assistance from the GALA Student Organization GLBT Grant Program through their student organizations using the William and Mary GALA Grant Application Guidelines. Applications submitted to GALA are evaluated by its Board of Directors in the order in which they are received. GALA will work with students to help further develop project or program ideas if necessary. If you are interested in making a donation to GALA to support the Student Organization GLBT Grant Program, or if you would like to become a financial sponsor for a specific student project, please contact William and Mary GALA at email@example.com. Contributing to student projects through the GALA Student GLBT Grant Program assures you that your donation will be administered according to the guidelines developed by the GALA Board of Directors.
Submitting an Application
Student groups are encouraged to submit applications for funding. Your application should include the following:
- Name of Organization
- Name and contact information of Organization leader
- Name and contact information of the individual(s) who will oversee the Grant Award
(if different/additional to above)
- Project Title
- Project Description. Briefly describe your project. Be sure to include:
a. Project Objective(s) — What do you hope to accomplish?
b. Plan of Work — What will need to be done and who will do it?
c. Timeline — When will actions be accomplished?
- Project Budget. Outline your overall budget. Be sure to include:
a. Amount of Award Being Requested (over $500, see additional information** below)
b. Amount of Matching or Other Funding
A successful applicant will be expected to provide GALA with a brief letter of closure after the completion of the project, include receipts for expenses, report on your activities that
were being funded and describe your conclusions.
Send your applications to:
William and Mary GALA Board of Directors
c/o Wayne Curtis, President
3505 N. Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
** Larger projects should have a sponsoring member of the GALA Board of Directors – an individual with whom the applicant can be in regular contact in order to facilitate questions and provide guidance. Please contact the President via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to intitiate the process of finding a sponsoring member of the Board.